JL Audio E-Sub E110 Features
E-Sub series Powered Subwoofer:
JL Audio E-Sub series subwoofer combines a state-of-the-art JL Audio subwoofer driver and electronics/amplifier package within a highly optimized enclosure to deliver an exceptional listening experience in your home theater or home audio system.
The 10" subwoofer driver in the E110 subwoofer system is capable of outstanding linear excursion without distress or audible distortion. This custom-engineered driver enables the E110 to reproduce powerful low-frequency events with stunning impact and outstanding accuracy. The 10" subwoofer driver offers peak-to-peak excursion capabilities well in excess of 2.5" to comfortably handle the dynamics of the most demanding program material.
- DMA Technology: JL Audio's exclusive DMA technology is applied to shape, control, and stabilize the woofer' motor strength, ensuring linear behavior over a very long excursion range. Unlike typical steady-state modeling systems, JL Audio's approach takes into account the dynamic shifts created by current flow and back EMF under real power conditions, with real program material. The payoff offered by DMA optimization is a subwoofer that more faithfully tracks its input signal at all listening levels, leading to superior bass definition and dynamics.
- Floating Cone Attach Method (FCAM): JL Audio's patented FCAM technology is an innovative method of bonding the surround/cone assembly to the voice coil former/spider assembly. This feature helps ensure concentricity of the surround, spider and voice coil without torquing the suspension to achieve it. This allows for the inevitable, slight variations in production part dimensions without having them negatively impact the integrity of the suspension and coil-centering at high excursions.
- Vented Reinforcement (VRC): The Vented Reinforcement Collar (VRC) is a composite structure that addresses two issues related to reliability. By reinforcing the critical junction between the cone, voice coil and spider, the VRC greatly reduces failures due to glue breakdown or material weakness. It does this by greatly increasing adhesive contact area and providing stress relief to the spider material at excursion extremes. By reinforcing the critical junction between the cone, voice coil and spider, the VRC greatly reduces failures due to glue breakdown or material weakness. It does this by greatly increasing adhesive contact area and providing stress relief to the spider material at excursion extremes
- Extreme Mounting Depth: The extreme mounting depth of the E-Sub series woofer is very deliberate. It permits wide gaps to exist between the three suspension elements (the rubber surround and the dual spiders), imparting exceptional mechanical stability over the driver's full excursion range. This further improves linearity, reduces distortion, and enhances long-term reliability.
- Engineered Lead-Wire System: Carefully engineered lead-wire design and attachments ensure controlled, quiet lead-wire behavior under the most extreme excursion demands.
To power the E110, JL Audio engineered a completely new 1200W Class D amplifier with a regulated, switching power supply. This approach helps make the amplifier more compact, lightweight and efficient, while still delivering ample, clean power to fully exercise the 10" woofer's performance.
Rigid MDF Enclosure:
The beautiful cabinet enclosing the workings of the E110 powered sub is also the result of careful engineering. To contain the pressures created by the 10" woofer, JL Audio utilized solid, CNC-cut, MDF material with extensive internal bracing features and advanced assembly techniques. The steel front mounting flange of the 10" woofer also forms the entire front baffle of the finished product, while the back-plate of the driver is threaded and bolted to the rear wall of its enclosure for support.
The built-in amplifier also incorporates a studio-grade signal-processing section, which is controlled from a panel on the top of the subwoofer cabinet (instead of on the back, like most other powered subs). An attractive cover is also included to hide and protect the controls during normal use.
- Volume Level: The "Master Level" Knob is used to set the output level of the E110 relative to the rest of your audio system. When rotated fully counter clockwise, the E110's output will be fully muted. When at the "0" or straight up position, the level is at reference gain. When turned fully clockwise, the sub's level is at its maximum sensitivity (loudest).
- Crossover: The built-in, active crossover (25-130Hz) is a true two-way, 4th order Linkwitz-Riley design, with a 24dB/octave low-pass filter feeding the subwoofer's amplifier and a 24dB/octave high-pass filtered signal exiting through a pair of line outputs. The on-board crossover can be defeated for home theater receiver's with an LFE output and its own built-in low-pass crossover.
- Polarity & Phase Control: A polarity switch (0/180°) and phase control (0-280°) are provided to aid in achieving an optimal acoustic transition between the powered subwoofer and your main speakers.
All signal processing is performed in the analog domain, ensuring very low latency in critical applications
Analog Inputs & Outputs:
Analog inputs are provided for unbalanced line-level (RCA) signals or high-level (speaker) signals. Using a rear-panel switch, the line level inputs can be configured as grounded or isolated, which is very useful in combating ground-related noise problems. For receivers with a mono subwoofer or "LFE" outputs, only one RCA jack will be used (Left or Right). The line outputs deliver a pass-through signal that permits multiple E-Sub series powered subwoofer to be interconnected in a "daisy-chain" arrangement.
Auto Power On:
The E110 powered subwoofer will power up its internal amplifier when it detects an audio signal at any of its inputs, and will power down the internal amplifier if no signal has been detected at its inputs for approximately 30 minutes. While dormant, the powered sub consumes less than 0.5 watts of power. You can also manually turn the powered sub on/off.
The LED indicator will be amber when dormant and green when operational.
The E-Sub series powered subwoofer has been designed to allow use in a wide range of applications; from full home theater systems to dedicated two-channel music systems, to desktop audio workstations.
JL Audio recommends that you begin by placing the E-Sub powered subwoofer in the front of the room, on the floor, near the front left or right speaker. Placing the E-Sub powered sub near solid walls will reinforce bass response and pulling it away from solid walls will decrease bass. Increasing the distance between the subwoofer and the walls may help to smooth upper bass response in some rooms. JL Audio also recommends that you avoid placing the E-Sub series powered sub near windows to prevent rattling and sound transmission to the outside world.
What's in the box?
- Powered subwoofer
- Grille (attached)
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Owner's Manual